Etsy is seeking an Engineering Manager for our Sell on Etsy native app team.
Our marketplace has an abundance of one-of-a-kind items from independent artists, designers and vintage collectors from around the world. Our challenge? Make it easier for buyers to find these remarkable goods and for creative entrepreneurs to run their businesses. Do you have the skills, passion and empathy to take on this task? Are you excited about building products that thrill our buyers and empower millions of small businesses?
About the Team
The technical staff at Etsy believes that code is craft, and that the work we do is part of a larger creative culture represented by the hundreds of thousands of inspired artists and designers who make Etsy such a unique marketplace. We believe that small, empowered, self-motivated teams can do big things. We believe in measuring everything, taking advantage of our pioneering continuous deployment system to ship code early and often, and a blameless culture based on trust and a commitment to learning.
Our Sell on Etsy native app allows Etsy sellers to run their businesses - responding to customer inquiries, tracking orders, promoting their shop, and more - from their Android and iOS devices. We're proud of our ability to have a big impact with a small team, and our fantastic tools
for simple deployment of native apps.
Learn more about our engineering philosophies, tools, and some of the challenges we've been solving on our Engineering blog: http://codeascraft.com/
About the Job
This is a management-track position. Engineering managers at Etsy play a small part in the hands-on process of building software, but a very large part in orchestrating engineers to achieve great results. A technical background is required in order to be a good counsel and advocate for engineering, but don't expect contributing production-facing code to be your primary role.
As an Engineering Manager at Etsy you will:
- Recruit and hire exceptional engineering talent and facilitate onboarding of new team members.
- Work with other engineering teams to identify and anticipate changing requirements and opportunities to improve the development environment.
- Collaborate with other leaders of our native apps to develop best practice guide our architectural decisions, and improve our process of shipping apps.
- Work with product managers, designers, and engineers on the team to prioritize, plan and schedule work.
- Communicate status, risks and requirements to other groups.
- Provide technical and non-technical guidance to the team, both individually and as a group.
- Facilitate continuous learning and improvement for the team and its members.
- You are enthusiastic and passionate about what you do, and use that to help motivate diverse groups.
- You have extensive experience developing native apps - iOS, Android, or both.
- You have demonstrated experience leading technical teams, setting goals and crafting plans to achieve them.
- You believe that people come to work to do great things and you derive satisfaction from helping others reach beyond what they were previously capable of.
- You can work with people across multiple disciplines to create, build, and launch successful products.
- Find immense value in the success of your team.
- Listen more than you speak, and are able to get your point across.
- Ability to establish credibility with brilliant engineers quickly.
Interested in joining the team? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you'd be great for the job. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you're all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you're proud of, we'd love to hear about it.
Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.