The mobile team at Lonely Planet is the caretaker of Guides
, the company’s flagship app which aims to be the best travel companion for users traveling on the ground in any location.
As a team, we rise to the challenge of bringing over 40 years of authored travel content to life on mobile devices in a way that is engaging for our community and relevant for individual travellers around the globe.
We’re passionate about our products and the evolving technologies we use to build them. We are looking for engineers who want to build stuff quickly, break things along the way, and fix it even faster. We use lean principles, value rapid deployment, metrics driven engineering, and experimentation.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ROLE:
The iOS Engineer will be a key contributor to iOS development at Lonely Planet, Franklin, TN or San Francisco, CA (We will consider remote for the right candidate). This includes translating design concepts into a beautiful mobile experience as well as working with our new backend APIs. The iOS Engineer will work on our flagship Guides app, as well as new apps, and work closely with Design, QA, DevOps, and Product teams to redefine the travel experience.
- Participate in code reviews.
- Build client-side iOS applications for multiple LP initiatives.
- Assist with server side development as needed to support LP mobile applications.
- Bachelor of Science degree in computer science, or related field from a four-year accredited university, or an additional 4 years of experience as a software engineer.
- At least 2 years of experience with iOS development and Objective-C/Swift.
- Growing proficiency building apps for the iOS platform, including application design, memory management, asynchronous behavior, interfacing with APIs, and location services, deployed on many different devices.
- At least one well reviewed app published in the App Store.
- Experience translating Sketch files to layouts with pixel precision.
WHAT WOULD BE GREAT:
- Experience working closely with world-class UX/UI designers and converting their designs into beautiful products.
- Previous experience at a startup environment or working in a small team driven by lean methodologies.
What’s in it for you?
Lonely Planet has been around for 40 years and is a well-known travel brand. This is an opportunity to be involved with the re-invention of one of the world’s most loved travel brands. We have offices around the globe and content contributors in almost every single country. We love travel, and you should love it too. It makes for a company of people that are really fun to be around. We have an inherent urge for self-development by experiencing the unknown, confronting unforeseen challenges, getting to know unfamiliar cultures, ways of life, and behaviors.
Lonely Planet participates in the federal government's E-Verify program. With E-Verify, we are able to confirm the employment authorization of all newly hired employees through an electronic database maintained by the Social Security Administration and Department of Homeland Security. The E-Verify process is completed in conjunction with the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, upon commencement of employment. E-Verify is not used as a tool to pre-screen candidates. For up-to-date information on E-Verify, please go to www.uscis.gov and click on the 'E-Verify' logo.