Sky is Europe's leading entertainment company and serves over 22 million customers across five countries. Our business in the UK and Ireland has come a long way since starting out as a satellite broadcaster in 1989 and we’re not stopping there. We’re home to award-winning teams for everything from Customer Service to Marketing, from Technology to Finance, meaning there’s plenty of opportunity for you, no matter what your career goals.
As Sky grows, we’re seeking a talented software engineer with a strong technology leadership and/or architecture background to enable the rapid delivery of high quality, customer focused services to meet and exceed customer experience and usability requirements.
Who you’ll be working with
Based at our world class Leeds Dock campus, which is one of the largest technical hubs in the UK, it’s a strategic location for our business and offers a vibrant place to work.
Our new teams have a real ‘start up’ feel and there’s loads of room for development. You’ll have the chance to use cutting edge tools and technologies to create rich user experiences; all whilst working in an Agile environment.
As a valued employee of Sky, you’ll benefit from a free Sky Q premium package (one off payment required for installation), an excellent pension scheme, private health care and a share save scheme. There’s a great range of other benefits to fit around your needs too.
Your key responsibilities
- You will provide technical leadership to the engineering community; as a manager, a mentor and a community leader.
- You will drive sharing of best practice and learning throughout the business.
- You will take architectural responsibility over a business domain.
- You shall take the lead on key business initiatives that span multiple delivery areas.
- Working in an agile, team driven approach with a track record of influencing beyond your immediate team.
- Use data to drive your decision-making.
- Explore new opportunities opened up by new technology innovations.
- Participate/Lead in the local tech and open source communities.
- Facilitating technical discussion across team / department.
- Hands-on software engineer
- Designing and developing commercial mobile applications using a mix of modern technologies and techniques
- Leading major change initiatives with wide technology scope.
- Experience with and essential knowledge of the design, development and operational considerations of the “full-stack” such as:
- cloud / Internet topology, application and transport protocols
- data storage, persistence and caching
- Major security consideration of each layer
- Modern API styles and service architectures such as REST, HATEOAS and GraphQL using monolithic or micro-services
- Implementing software utilising key implementation patterns and idioms relevant to the technology stack, such as OO, Functional programming, SOLID, DRY etc
- ·Technology at scale.
- Prior experience with XP principles such as pair programming, CI, and TDD
- Act as an expert in one or more problem/technology domains (e.g. web, mobile, security & integrity, open source, data, cloud and resource elasticity, application integration and system design, etc.)
- The ability to mentor others in essential and best practices
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic, agile environment
- Broad knowledge and appreciation of contemporary technologies with the ability to provide subjective and objective overview of these in the context of Sky development and wider strategy
- Leading and delivering through others and leading people through change.
- Be able identify, design and implement key technical software solutions that offer increased strategic value
- Have an understanding of web/software performance and have an ability to guide teams to reach such objectives.
- Knowledge of Data Protection, PCI compliance, ISO27001 and Safe Harbour legislation
- Experience of large-scale application support best practices and/or ITIL
- laaS, PaaS and SaaS service offerings from major vendors and open source
- Management and migration of legacy systems (e.g. system façade, “monolith to microservices” or “web application strangling”)
Happy to talk flexible working.
It’s our people that make Sky Europe’s leading entertainment company. That’s why we work hard to be an inclusive employer, so everyone at Sky can be their best.
If you are successful in your application for this role, your appointment will be subject to receiving a positive outcome from your Criminal Record Check.